How to Create an Amazon “So You’d Like to… Guide”by authorsboutiquecom on Jun 25, 2012 • 9:00 am No Comments
by Sherrie Wilkolaski
Uncovering new ways to use Amazon to market and sell books is a hobby of mine. The Amazon “So You’d Like to…Guides” are an incredible find for an author looking to go the extra mile to market their book. Yes, it’s the simple things in life that make me happy. Would you like to learn how to use this cool Amazon gizmo to help to market and promote your book?
What in the world is a “So You’d Like to…Guide” on Amazon?
I have yet to find one author who even knows anything about this Amazon feature, let alone that it exists at all. As far as I’m concerned it is a little piece of paradise. “So You’d Like to…Guides” are pages that you can build that are completely focused on topics of your own interest. If you’re passionate about it…you can build a guide.
Why is this so cool for an author?
You control your own destiny with an online guide. Are you chef that specializes in French cuisine? Why not build a “So You’d Like to Know about French Cuisine on a Budget Guide.” You name it. You can design the guide around your book topic, genre or specialty.
You get to write your own content about your subject matter and within that content, mention the products (i.e. your book) for sale on Amazon. Does it get any better than that?
If we’re sticking with our example subject of French cooking, your approach would be to pull together a list of the best books, DVDs and kitchen products that Amazon has for sale that are tied to French cooking. You build your guide with your book and subject matter in mind. It’s as simple as entering in the products 10-digit Amazon Standard Identification Number (ASIN) or 13-digit International Standard Book Number (ISBN) for books. Amazon’s online technology will do the rest to build the page and then you publish it. One final thing, you do need to write some engaging marketing copy about your subject and drizzle it with mentions of your products. You’re an expert on your topic so this should be a breeze.
How to create a super-fabulous guide that will help to promote your book…
- Pick your subject topic. This is your starting point and it should be tied to your book. Whether you write fiction or non-fiction you can create a guide that focuses on your niche. Think outside the box and keep in mind what people will be looking for and why they would be coming to Amazon to find content that will drive them to find your book and supporting products.
- Research other guides to ensure you’re not duplicating what is already published. Do I need to say more? J Okay, I will. If there are other guides on your subject that is fine, clearly there is an audience for topic. Focus on a different angle and make your guide better than what is already out there. Fill in the gaps that the other guides are not addressing.
- Use a catchy title. Be direct and to the point, with a twist of marketing genius. Your title will draw your readers in. Get them in the door.
- Focus on the subject and then market your book. Let the subject of the guide be the belle of the ball. Your book is the supporting feature. You’re also the author and the expert on the subject…that is a huge benefit.
- Have fun with it! This is an opportunity to be creative. The success of your guide will be a success if you use your expertise and let your passion shine through.
To get started on your “So You’d Like to…Guide” on Amazon, click here to go directly to Amazon.
Please post the link to your “So You’d Like to…Guide” on Amazon below. I would love to see what you have designed. Is this is the first you’ve heard about this Amazon feature? Just curious…
Image courtesy of Jenny W.